Copyright 2009-2013 Liz Sweibel

Saturday, January 9, 2010

New Year's Check-Up

Either I or my camera forgot how to download, so photos have to wait, but I want to report that Glenwood had a follow-up today. Dr. Ryan, who is just under my (middle) age and comparably despondent, was generous in saying that it is kittens and stories like Glenwood that make it worthwhile, and she will remember this story always. (I will too.) I admit that saving her has made me a little bigger. The irony, which I share for full disclosure, is that her energy is so boundless and her inability to distinguish between toy and not-toy so undeveloped that there are times when I want to strangle her.

She weighs 6.12 pounds. She had a little goo in her ears, but nothing a born-to-the-throne kitten wouldn't produce. Her raspy breathing will persist, as I've mentioned, as will its nothing-to-worry-about-ness. The techs (as much as I enjoy them all, Anna was out and we missed seeing her) took blood to run a CBC so Dr. Ryan can make sure she's up to par for shots and spaying. I'll have results mid-week. Have I mentioned that the only thing I use my GE CareCard for is vet bills?

After the techs left, Glenwood (who I've been calling Riley lately, which is sad) would not go in her carrier. Cats bolt into their carriers to go home from the vet. But oh no, not my Glenwood. It was embarassing how long it took me to contort her back in there and come out of the exam room. They were kind not to mention it. I thought I was going to have to get help. How embarassing.

Now there's an interesting development at home: Timmy doesn't like how Glenwood smells from the vet and has been really nasty, nasty enough to make her run away. While it's awful (and horrible when it was Riley and she was sick), the upside is that she does run, which tells me that when she chases him (and chases him and chases him), she doesn't want to fight. His snarliness is more than she bargained for. My wish is that this will balance out their relationship. She's learning what he's capable of when faced with new smells.

No comments: