Copyright 2009-2013 Liz Sweibel

Sunday, December 20, 2009

This New Life

Last weekend was spent reclaiming my bathroom. (I have yet to take its ready availability and conveniences for granted.) Since then it's been about integration. What I'm seeing is the difference between the free Glenwood and the bathroom-bound Glenwood. She's more independent of me as she forges her new life, which largely consists of torturing Timmy with relentless full-body attacks or cuddling up to him ...


... or sleeping in one of the spots she's claiming as her own.

Sometimes when I approach her in a big way (like with my winter coat on or in loud shoes) she crouches down in fear. She must be reacting to a memory, so I get on the floor to be small and she comes right over. And she really comes over: just keeps walking right into my face.

When she's quiet, I watch her and wonder at it all. She has a huge personality, and the softest fur. Her breathing still gets raspy when she's having a good workout, but otherwise it's like none of the awfulness ever happened. I appreciate the life she's brought into the house after Riley's death. And still I miss Riley every day, awakening as I do to Timmy's big face staring at me as a reminder.

No comments: