Copyright 2009-2013 Liz Sweibel

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

For the Others

Walking to the subway along Flatbush Avenue early this morning, when I usually have my eyes down, I looked up to see a box in the doorway of a bank, and in the box was a cat.  It startled me.  The cat was sitting calmly and looked healthy, and the box was a nice box, so it seemed the cat had been cared for but abandoned.  This is how a perfectly good day collapses for me.  I stopped and looked at the cat, and it looked at me.  I had to go; my students were making presentations and I could not be late.  I walked away, then went back and looked again, considering the logistics if I were to scoop the cat.  I just couldn't; I left; I felt horrible and hypocritical waiting for the subway, and the day stayed like that.  Where are our loyalties?

On the way home, I debated whether to avoid the cat-spot or look, and decided to look (or I'd face more regret).  Cat and box were gone, and all I can do is hope that the cat is safe.

No comments: