Copyright 2009-2013 Liz Sweibel

Sunday, November 21, 2010

Plan C

Well, the Baytril didn't work and the pink stuff and shots improved the infection but Glenwood still has something living deeper inside her ear than can be seen or gotten to.  The One Love team tried a suction process yesterday but whatever is settled in there is staying put.

I hadn't given a lot of thought to the science aspect of vets' characters, but Drs. Ryan and Humphreys were doing some teeth-gnashing; they are frustrated; they want to fix her.  I want to fix her, too, but my frustrations are different.  Plan C is a new wash that I'll squeeze into her ear twice a day and squish down with aggressive ear rubbing.  Then she'll shake.  Then I'll clean it all up.  The goal is to loosen up the ear inhabitants so they can be suctioned out.  The next attempt will be early December.

I tried closing my curtains last night to see if the change in morning light would fool Glenwood out of the 5 am crazies.  That may sound stunningly obvious but my curtains are sheer and I didn't think it would make a difference.  It did!  I just had to adjust them so Glenwood could get onto the windowsill; the look in her eye told me she wouldn't hesistate to pull them down if I didn't.  At least I don't pretend to be the boss.

One Love is a new operation, so spread the word.  The care is great, everyone is super nice, and they usually have cookies for people in addition to treats for the pets out front.  Willie the Rescue Parakeet watches over the scene; he was named after Willie Nelson, who first inspired him to sing in his new home.  And on the science front, Dr. Humphreys described his approach as doing the least possible to get the body aligned so it will fix itself.  Pretty poetic for a science guy.

Pre-Glenwood
My visits there are always long between the care and the socializing, and by the end all three of us were sitting with Glenwood on the floor.  She really does set the tone.

The box above was a gift from my painter friend Diane Ayott years ago.  She and her partner had new window shades installed, and she brought me the left-over shade-ends knowing I'd appreciate them.  I displayed the box out of Glenwood's reach (or so I thought), but ...  Thankfully, the damage was fixable (and also beautiful) so all is back in place and now they are really out of reach.  Really.

Post-Glenwood

No comments: